Rosie Blog:

Rosie Wannabes 2018-19

SHS Rosie Committee Members-- Wonder what Miss Huxford's read so far?  Looking for a way to share your thoughts on what you've read so far?  Don't want to wait 'til October to begin championing your favorites?  Look no further!  Feel free to post your comments and observations right here!  Let's talk books!

Well... I really should have started this sooner, so I'll just add lots of posts in a short amount of time!
Saving Red
I love Sonya Sones, and she does not disappoint with this one! Molly has required community service and of course she waits until the last day to complete it, so options are limited. She ends up participating in a count of the homeless in her town. She is just supposed to count. No interaction. And that works until she finds Red, a girl her age living on the street. She is strangely drawn to her and is determined to help. She feels compelled to do so because of her brother. You know something has happened, but you will have to read the book to find out what. Oh, did I mention that she meets a really cute guy along the way? Yeah, I really enjoyed this one. Read it in an afternoon! Happy Reading!
One Paris Summer

I started this one expecting a light, summer read, and while it is a great read for summer, it is certainly more substantial than I expected. Sophie and her brother are headed to Paris for the summer for their father's wedding. Small problem-- they don't want to go. It was only a year ago that Dad suddenly announced that he was leaving the family to chase his dream job. This story deals with divorce, mixed families, facing fears, and finding hope. I laughed. I cried. Literally! My favorite part, even though it deals with serious, realistic issues, it offers hope and, of course, a cute French guy! Happy Reading!!
Sabotage

I am working hard to find great nonfiction for you. Here's one of them. Now, it is by Neal Bascomb- he also wrote Nazi Hunters-- so there are a lot of people who are introduced at the beginning of the story. They have to be. Stopping Hitler from getting an atomic bomb was not small job; it took a whole host of people to get it done. As you read, all of these people begin to sort themselves out, but the story is worth it. Hitler did get very, very close to obtaining an atomic bomb. Oh how the world would be a different place if he had. This one may take a couple of days to get through, but it is well worth it! Happy Reading!
The Fixer

If you loved The Naturals or Heist Society or All Fall Down, here is your next favorite! Tess's sister is a fixer. If you are in politics or a celebrity or someone important and something goes wrong, Ivy can fix it, for a price. When their grandfather's health declines, Ivy fixes it by bringing Tess to D.C. with her and putting their grandfather in a facility. Their parents were killed years ago in an accident. Tess resents begin uprooted. But as she enters an elite private school, she finds herself drawn to the same game, fixing things, and the stakes quickly escalate. Happy Reading!
To Stay Alive

Verse Novel! My favorite genre! I was fascinated with this one for days! It is the story of the Donner Party, told by Mary Ann Graves, one of the survivors. It was an ill-fated trip from the beginning-- a late start, an ill-advised "short cut," an early snow. But it makes you think. What would you do to survive? Happy Reading!
Dear Nobody: The True Diary of Mary Rose

Oh was this one depressing! I know teenage substance abuse is a serious issue that needs to be confronted and solved, but this was just such a hopeless story. Then when you find out that she has a terminal disease on top of the substance abuse and dysfunctional home, it was just almost more than I could take. I know some people's lives really are that bad; however, I always find hope. I feel like this book didn't give me any! Be forewarned if you try this one!
Taking Flight and I Will Always Write Back

Now, if you are looking for a true story that brings hope, these two are the books for you!

Taking Flight is the story of Michaela DePrince, an orphan from Sierra Leon who finds herself adopted by an American family. She was born into horrible circumstances, but worked hard to become one of the premiere classical ballerinas in the world. Loved her story!

I Will Always Write Back is the story of how one person can make a difference. Caitlin didn't want a pen pal from Europe or Australia like everyone else. She chose Zimbabwe. Martin Ganda was the top in his class, so when the letter arrived, he was the lucky recipient. That started a life-long, life-changing relationship between a girl with everything and a boy with nothing. Martin's life, and the life of his entire immediate family, was literally saved because of a school project-- choosing a pen pal from another nation. Loved this one! Happy Reading!!
Calvin

If you are looking for something really different, this is the book for you. Calvin would like to be a normal teenager, but he's not. He is schizophrenic. He was born the same day that the last Calvin and Hobbes comic strip was published. For most of his life, he has seen and heard Hobbes, the tiger from the strip. He even has a best friend named Susie. He's tired of this, so he decides that if he can convince Bill Watterson to draw one last strip, he will be cured, so he sets out on a trek to find him. Happy, a bit Bizzare, Reading!
Death Coming Up the Hill

Loved, loved, loved this one! The whole verse novel is written in haiku- 5 syllables, 7 syllables, 5 syllables. It is the story of a high school Senior striving to avoid the draft during the Vietnam War. Beautifully written. Pulls the Vietnam War into a setting that teenagers can not only understand, but feel. The end is haunting! Happy Reading!!