Welcome to the Shenandoah High School Library Media Center
This Week's Featured Book Trailer!
Ever thought out living in outer space? Click on the cover below, and you can watch a trailer for
More can be found on the Book Trailers Link under Library Media Center!
Library Word(s) of the Week
1st 9 Weeks
Biography-- A book about 1 person.
Collective Biography-- A book about multiple people. They usually have something in common: astronauts, presidents, etc.
Here's Who to Ask!!
Do you have a laptop or a computer at home? Do you have an ereader or a tablet or an ipad? Then we have books for you!
Click on the link below for instructions on how the SHS ebook collection works!
Books Are Like Chips!
Betcha Can't Eat Just One!
Betcha Can't Read Just One!
Looking for an interesting non-fiction? Tune in frequently to see what we've discovered!
She was a little girl in rural Sierra Leone. One day she went to a neighboring village to see family. That's when the rebels struck. That's when she lost both of her hands. That's when she decided to live and flourish anyway. Read her remarkable story.
Want More Suggestions? Click on the picture below and check out our Notable Non-Fiction Page!
With our new version of Accelerated Reader, we now have access to all of the tests available through Renaissance.
WARNING!! This is a link to a complete listing of available AR tests. If you are looking up a book that is not one that we have in the SHS Libary, it would be good to check with Miss Huxford or your English Teacher to make sure your book is acceptable for your AR requirement.
Miss Huxford's Picks
These books really should have made some list, some where, but sadly have been neglected! Enjoy discovering these hidden treasures with me! You can click on the cover for a book trailer!
Wondering What to Read?
Feeling the loss of seeing Miss Huxford every day to ask what you should be reading? Then follow the link below where you can catch her as she blogs about the books she's discovering!
Ever thought about donating a book to the library, but you weren't sure what we were looking for? Then check out our Shenandoah High School Wish List on Amazon.com! Try the link below!
SHS Media Center
1. Books are checked out using the Follett automation system on the computer. Students will use the OPAC-- On-line Public Access Catalog-- application.
2. Each student's number is his/her student ID/lunch #. Students can use their Student ID card to check out library materials.
3. Books are checked out for 4 weeks. They may be renewed or reserved.
4. Audio Books are checked out for 4 weeks. Students may only have 1 audio book at a time.
5. Reference books may be checked out overnight.
6. Students are responsible for paying the cost of lost or damaged books; audio books are quite costly.
1. Students are to be reasonably quiet in the library. It is not merely a gathering place.
2. Students must have a specific need to visit the library on an individual basis and work accordingly. Individual students must have a pass. Passes must be shown to the Library Media Specialist upon entering, and students must sign the clipboard. Passes must be signed before leaving. Passes are issued for the following reasons:
a. To work on a project, paper, or assignment.
b. To find something to read.
c. To find a quiet place to study and/or read.
d. To take an Accelerated Reader Test.
3. Food, drinks and candy may NOT be brought into nor consumed in the Library Media Center.
1. Each student has his/her own log-in and password. In order to access your documents from anywhere, save to the H drive, not the C drive. (For assistance, see Miss Huxford).
2. Students must talk to the Librarian before using laptops. Tabletop PCs will be used for Accelerated Reader and the OPAC.
3. Email, Chat Rooms, You Tube, Face Book, Twitter, etc. are not allowed at school.
4. When logging off of computers, you need to go to the Start button to log-off. Not Ctrl, Alt, Del, Enter, Enter.
5. Students need to take great care with all laptops: return laptops to correct spots, plugging in power and network cables if needed.